It’s time to LAUGH
“Laughter is the most beautiful and beneficial therapy God ever granted humanity.” —Chuck Swindoll
A man purchased a unique horse for his journey.
If he wanted the horse to “go,” he was instructed to say, “Praise the Lord!”
When it was time to stop, the command would be, “Amen!”
So, he set out.
“Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord!” The horse was moving at a gallop.
Suddenly, the man spotted a dangerous cliff just ahead. “Stop!” he shouted. “Whoa!” The horse continued to run.
Finally, it hit him, “AMEN!!!” The horse stopped inches from the cliff’s edge.
Relieved — and happy at his brilliance for remembering the correct command in a tense situation — the man wiped his brow and uttered, “Praise the Lord!…”
Laughter. It’s good for the soul. And amid trying times, it is absolutely necessary. According to the Mayo Clinic, laughter:
- Relieves the physical symptoms of stress
- Reduces the production of cortisol (which leads to weight gain)
- Boosts your ability to fight off sickness
- Offers natural pain relief
- Decreases depression and anxiety
But we knew laughter was good for us before a report from a major health advocate told us, right? Because we read it in God’s Word!
- “A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed” (Proverbs 15:13).
- “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones” (Proverbs 17:22).
- “Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!” (Psalm 32:11).
- “Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then they said among the nations, ‘The Lord has done great things for them’” (Psalm 126:2).
Make it a priority to laugh today … and every day … for the joy of the Lord is our strength!
My prayer this week—Lord, thank you for creating me with the ability to find humor in the everyday, and especially in trying times. It is my decision to face each day with a heart ready to seek joy. Help me do this willingly! By my laughter, let me show others an overcoming spirit, a heart of joy, and a great love for you.